Civilians in southern Lebanon are facing increased displacement and disruption after UN peacekeepers recorded an average of 137 projectiles fired each day from August 5 to 16. The UN Interim Force in Lebanon, or UNIFIL, said the activity reflected a significant rise in Israeli military activity over roughly two weeks.
UNIFIL recorded 208 projectiles on Saturday and 185 on Sunday as tensions continued to increase, despite the renewal of a June 26 ceasefire agreement between Lebanon and Israel.
What UNIFIL reported
UNIFIL said many families have been displaced or forced to change their daily routines because of insecurity and uncertainty. The force said civilians are bearing the highest price as tensions rise.
Peacekeepers have continued patrols and monitoring in the area, removed obstacles from roads, reduced risks from explosives and helped facilitate humanitarian access. UNIFIL said UN Security Council Resolution 1701 remains the basic framework for restoring stability in southern Lebanon.
Related coverage: Seven killed in Israeli air strike on southern Lebanon.
Why the ceasefire has not ended the escalation
The June 26 agreement was brokered by the United States and tied to the disarmament of Lebanon-based Hezbollah. It did not specifically require Israeli forces to withdraw from the parts of southern Lebanon they occupy.
Hezbollah has rejected the agreement unless Israel withdraws from Lebanon. Under the framework, Israel agreed to pull back from large areas after Hezbollah’s disarmament, while the Lebanese army would provide security near the border. That withdrawal has not taken place, and Lebanese and Israeli governments have continued negotiations, including a seventh round earlier this month.
UNIFIL’s mandate and the human cost
Lebanese President Joseph Aoun said Monday that he supports extending UNIFIL’s mandate and adopting a formula that would ensure international forces remain in southern Lebanon. Lebanon’s government considers the force an important element of stability in the south.
More context: Why Israeli attacks have intensified in southern Lebanon.
UNIFIL’s mandate is due to expire at the end of 2026, leaving its future and mission under international discussion. The death toll from repeated Israeli assaults on southern Lebanon since March 2 rose to 4,346 after 11 people were killed in two separate Israeli air raids on Saturday.
Also read: Lebanon presses for Israeli pullout schedule amid Hezbollah opposition.
No comments yet. Start the discussion.