More than 620 drones reported over Moscow region in overnight attack

More than 620 drones reported over Moscow region in overnight attack

Russian officials reported that more than 620 drones targeted Moscow and the surrounding region overnight, in what appears to be one of Ukraine’s largest attacks on the Russian capital in years.

Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin said Russian defences shot down 180 drones over the capital region between Monday evening and 5am on Tuesday, followed by 17 more intercepted while travelling towards the capital. Officials said three people were wounded, including a 10-year-old girl.

Damage and casualties reported around Moscow

Moscow region Governor Andrey Vorobyov said the most serious consequences were in Pavlovsky Posad, where a house burned down. Several other homes and a guesthouse were damaged in Bogorodsky district.

A Wildberries warehouse east of Moscow also sustained what the company described as minor damage after debris hit the building’s wall. The company has previously been targeted in several attacks in recent weeks, with Ukraine saying its facilities supply components for Russian drones.

Related coverage: Moscow region warehouse fire follows one of Ukraine’s largest drone waves.

Ukraine reports a separate overnight barrage

Ukraine’s air force said it shot down or suppressed 111 of 147 Russian drone attacks overnight. In the city of Izyum, in Kharkiv region, Governor Oleh Syniehubov said five people, including a nine-year-old boy, were injured.

Russian drones also started fires and damaged buildings in Brovary, in the Kyiv region, according to the city’s mayor, Ihor Sapozhko. The reported damage included an office building and warehouses.

Long-distance attacks intensify as talks remain frozen

The reported strikes came as front-line fighting was described as being at a near standstill and talks between Russia and Ukraine remained frozen. Both sides have significantly increased long-distance attacks, according to the source material.

More context: Russia’s July casualties and glide-bomb attacks reached reported highs.

In July, 437 civilians were killed in Ukraine, the highest monthly total there since May 2022, according to a United Nations tally. Russian authorities reported 79 civilians killed in Ukrainian attacks in July, up from the previous month.

Also read: Deadly Russian and Ukrainian strikes deepen war’s toll.

Share
Discussion More than 620 drones reported over Moscow region in overnight attack

    No comments yet. Start the discussion.

Related Stories