Democratic lawmakers are calling for investigations and detailed answers about conditions aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln, which has spent more than 260 days at sea without a port call during a record-breaking deployment.
The carrier left San Diego, California, in November and has been involved in military operations against Venezuela and the US-Israel war on Iran. Reports in recent weeks have described crew members attempting to jump overboard amid shortages of food and other supplies.
Three appeals seek information and accountability
Representative Pat Ryan published a letter dated August 14 to acting Navy Secretary Hung Cao that was signed by 22 members of Congress. The letter asked how the Navy prepared for the deployment and questioned whether the lengthy missions reflected a broader pattern in the administration’s handling of the war against Iran.
A delegation of California lawmakers, including Senators Adam Schiff and Alex Padilla, separately asked the Pentagon to investigate. Another group of Democratic senators sent a letter dated August 15 to Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth demanding answers and accountability, arguing that open-ended deployments have consequences for servicemembers.
Related coverage: Trump rejects criticism of USS Abraham Lincoln’s deployment conditions.
Concerns follow another carrier’s record deployment
Ryan’s letter said the USS Gerald Ford had also broken deployment-length records during the Iran war and had been the subject of reports about strain on sailors’ health. The Ford returned to the United States in April.
Ryan questioned whether US Central Command, which oversees military operations in the Middle East, was taking appropriate steps to address continuing challenges in the fleet. The appeals therefore focus not only on the Lincoln’s reported conditions but also on whether the Navy and its commanders are adapting to prolonged operations.
USS Lincoln is preparing to return
Cao said last week that the USS Lincoln would soon return to the United States. The announcement coincided with reports that the USS George Washington had been rerouted from the Pacific Ocean to replace it, leaving no US aircraft carrier in the Western Pacific.
More context: USS Abraham Lincoln sailors face scrutiny in ninth month at sea.
The administration and military officials dispute or qualify the reports about the Lincoln. Hegseth said the conditions had been “completely misrepresented”, while President Donald Trump said the carrier had not been deployed “nearly long enough” and later dismissed questions about the reports as part of a “CNN fake report”.
Admiral Brad Cooper, the head of US Central Command, said he had visited the Lincoln in recent days and found its crew “awe-inspiring”. He acknowledged that conditions were not necessarily perfect, while praising the ship’s leadership for prioritising mental health and crew resilience. Republican Representative Don Bacon nevertheless said congressional oversight should take place.
No comments yet. Start the discussion.