Seven people die after safari helicopter crashes in Samburu County

Seven people die after safari helicopter crashes in Samburu County

Seven people, including six passengers and a pilot, were killed when a helicopter carrying tourists crashed in northern Kenya on Wednesday, August 19, 2026. The Kenya Civil Aviation Authority said the aircraft went down at 9:13am local time, or 06:13 GMT, while travelling from Loisaba Conservancy to the Ewaso Nyiro area in Samburu County.

The dead included Ecuador’s intelligence chief Michele Sensi-Contugi and his wife, Stephany Hollihan, as well as US journalist Jose Alberto Suarez, according to statements from Ecuador’s transport minister and NBCUniversal. A US State Department spokesperson said five US citizens were among those killed.

What is known about the crash

The aircraft was a Eurocopter EC130 B4 owned by Lady Lori Helicopters. The company said it was operating a charter flight carrying guests travelling with safari company &Beyond.

The crash occurred in a rugged area in the foothills of Mount Ololokwe, a popular tourist destination. Police commander David Nkoroi said all seven people on board had died, but initially did not release their identities.

Who was among those killed

Ecuadorian Transport Minister Roberto Luque said Sensi-Contugi, 42, and Hollihan were among the victims. Luque said Sensi-Contugi had been appointed head of Ecuador’s National Intelligence Center in 2024 and expressed condolences to their family, including their children and parents.

NBCUniversal said Suarez, who was president and general manager of Telemundo 31, Telemundo 49 and Telemundo Fort Myers–Naples, was also killed. The US Embassy was providing consular assistance, the State Department spokesperson said.

Recovery and investigation continue

The Kenya Civil Aviation Authority said an investigation was under way. The Kenya Red Cross said its emergency teams were part of a multiagency response, while safari operator Tropic Air Kenya dispatched two helicopters to support search and rescue efforts.

Three bodies remained trapped in the wreckage on Wednesday evening, according to the source report. Recovery was expected to continue on Thursday because flames were still burning at the crash site.

Share
Discussion Seven people die after safari helicopter crashes in Samburu County

    No comments yet. Start the discussion.

Related Stories