Australian police have charged a 27-year-old dual Russian-Australian citizen with foreign interference, alleging he tried to pass Ukrainian military information to people he believed were linked to Russian intelligence.
The unemployed man was due to appear in court in Brisbane on Friday. His identity has not been disclosed, and police said search warrants had been executed as investigators consider whether further arrests are possible.
What Australian police allege
Australian Federal Police Commissioner Krissy Barrett said the suspect travelled to Russia for training in October 2024 and returned to Australia while maintaining contact with people he believed were connected to Moscow’s intelligence services.
Police allege he enlisted in the Ukrainian military in May 2025 and gained access to information about military personnel, units and locations. Barrett said he shared that information with people he believed were acting for Russian intelligence, putting Ukrainian military staff at risk.
Related coverage: US Airman Charged with Serial Sexual Assaults in England Tried by US Military.
Investigation and official responses
The Australian Federal Police and the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation conducted the investigation. Police said there was no indication that the suspect had received military training in Australia.
ASIO Deputy Director-General Claire McGuinness said the case demonstrated that Australia had “zero tolerance” for foreign interference. Barrett said Australia should not become a safe haven for people acting on behalf of other countries.
What Russia’s embassy said
Russia’s embassy in Australia said it had no knowledge of the case and had received no official requests or notifications from Australian authorities or the suspect. It said it was using available channels and resources to establish the circumstances.
More context: Ukraine seeks Patriot missiles as Russian attacks intensify.
Separate arrests reported in Russia
Russian authorities separately arrested nine people and charged them with working for Ukrainian intelligence, according to Russian state media. Eight suspects were allegedly found with 35 drones equipped with explosives smuggled from the European Union and were accused of planning an attack on a strategic defence enterprise in the Moscow region.
Russia’s Federal Security Service also said it detained an unidentified foreign national near the Norwegian border while the person was allegedly trying to flee to Norway on foot after attempting to launch a surveillance drone over Moscow for Ukrainian intelligence.
Also read: Ukraine’s Elite Drone Force Targets Russian Infrastructure in Crimea and Beyond.
No comments yet. Start the discussion.