The Democratic Republic of the Congo’s current Ebola outbreak has become the country’s deadliest on record, with more than 4,900 confirmed cases and more than 2,300 deaths recorded three months after authorities declared it on May 15.
The death toll has exceeded the 2,299 people killed during the 2018–2020 Ebola outbreak. The current outbreak, first identified in Ituri Province, is caused by Bundibugyo virus disease, a rare form of Ebola for which there are no licensed vaccines or specific approved therapies.
Transmission began before the official declaration
Health officials say Ebola was already spreading before May 15. At Mongbwalu General Hospital in Ituri, Dr Richard Lokudu said three members of a surgical team died within weeks of treating a patient who had been admitted on April 2 and scheduled for surgery on April 7.
By the time the virus was identified, it had spread through communities and infection chains had grown before response teams were fully deployed. The World Health Organization said the outbreak was initially concentrated in Mongbwalu Health Zone before expanding to other provinces.
Related coverage: Ebola deaths in DRC surpass toll from 2018–20 outbreak.
Detection and access have slowed the response
Congolese authorities have acknowledged that delays in identifying cases contributed to the spread. Professor Pierre Akilimali, who leads the Ebola response, said reliance on laboratories outside Ituri slowed confirmation early in the outbreak; the province now has more than 12 laboratories.
The WHO has identified armed conflict, population movement and delayed case identification as major containment challenges. Armed groups and fighting in mineral-rich areas have restricted movement and limited access to some communities, while the province remains under a state of siege.
Why treatment and community trust matter
Because Bundibugyo virus disease has no licensed vaccine or specific approved therapy, health workers are relying on early detection, supportive care, infection-prevention measures and community engagement.
More context: A new death extends the DRC Ebola outbreak’s reach.
The Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention is supporting surveillance, laboratory work, infection prevention, patient care and community engagement. The WHO says movement of ill people between affected localities and neighbouring areas has helped the virus spread, while health workers report that gunfire can force teams to leave their positions.
Also read: WHO warns DR Congo Ebola crisis is spreading beyond containment.
No comments yet. Start the discussion.