Missile and drone attacks hit Marib and al-Makha

Missile and drone attacks hit Marib and al-Makha

Houthi forces launched missiles and drones at Yemen’s Marib city and the Red Sea port city of al-Makha overnight, killing four people and injuring eight, according to state media and the director of al-Makha airport.

The attacks came as fighting intensified across several provinces after a period of relative calm, with Yemen’s military also reporting 181 operations against Houthi positions over Saturday and Sunday.

What happened in al-Makha and Marib

An attack on Sunday struck the outskirts of al-Makha, also known as Mocha, while another hit a main road in the coastal city. The director of the al-Makha airport said the overnight attacks killed four people and injured eight.

Marib’s government media office said six ballistic missiles and four drones targeted residential neighbourhoods on Saturday evening. Four people were wounded and homes and civilian infrastructure were damaged, according to the office.

Related coverage: Yemen government reports deadly Houthi missile attack on al-Makha.

Port operations had already been paused

Operations at the government-controlled al-Makha port had been suspended because of several days of strikes, Abdulmalik al-Sharabi, the facility’s director general, said on Saturday.

Fighting spreads beyond the two cities

The Yemeni military said it conducted 181 operations against Houthi positions in several governorates on Saturday and Sunday, killing and wounding dozens of Houthi members. The Houthis said four of their members were killed but gave no further details about the circumstances.

Yemen had experienced a relative lull in fighting since April 2022. The war began nearly 12 years ago between government forces and the Houthis, who have controlled Sanaa and other cities and provinces since September 2014.

More context: Marib hit by missiles and drones as Yemen tensions rise.

Earlier this month, Houthi strikes on military camps in Marib and Hadramout killed at least 30 government soldiers, according to the supplied source material. Fighting has since resumed in al-Jawf, al-Dhalea and Taiz.

Also read: Yemen says Houthi attack on Tihamah killed six.

Related coverage:

Share
Discussion Missile and drone attacks hit Marib and al-Makha

    No comments yet. Start the discussion.

Related Stories