Operations at Yemen’s al-Makha, also known as Mocha, port were suspended on August 14 after repeated Houthi drone and missile attacks damaged civilian infrastructure and threatened the lives of its 1,500 workers.
The closure has left daily-wage labourers without income, prevented fishermen from safely going to sea and forced traders to redirect imports through Aden, where overland transport to al-Makha costs more.
Attacks damaged the port and caused casualties
The latest escalation began on August 9, when attacks on the western Yemen port and surrounding areas killed at least seven people and injured 30 others, according to the source report. The port was full of workers when the explosions began, leaving some unable to escape immediately.
On August 11, an attack on a vessel at al-Makha killed three Pakistani crew members and injured eight other seamen. Three days later, two cargo ships were targeted and the port’s remaining infrastructure was damaged.
Related coverage: Missile and drone attacks hit Marib and al-Makha.
Al-Makha port director Abdulmalik Al-Sharabi said at least six merchant vessels carrying commercial cargo had been struck during the latest violence. He said 16 people were killed and 22 injured in the attacks, while missile strikes damaged workshops, equipment, service areas and the port pier.
Workers have lost their main sources of income
The suspension halted work across 30 shipping and customs-clearance agencies. Mohammed Al-Homaidi, who had worked at the port since it reopened in 2021, said his family depended on his daily wages and that he had no savings after the closure.
Fishing has also become unsafe. Local authorities ordered fishermen not to go to sea until further notice, and fishermen who went out on August 11 failed to return, leaving their families searching for them. Abdulraoof Abdullah, a fisherman supporting eight family members, said he had been unable to work since that date and was relying on debt or help from friends for food.
More context: Yemen’s latest attacks deepen fears of renewed full-scale conflict.
Imports may become more expensive
Al-Makha port had been closed from 2015 to 2021 and serves Taiz governorate as well as the Yemeni economic hubs of Lahj, Hodeidah and Ibb. With operations halted, imports are being routed through Aden, increasing the cost of transporting goods overland to al-Makha.
A local trader identified as Rashad said goods were being held in Djibouti and redirected to Aden. He said warehouses still had food from earlier orders, so prices had not yet risen, but warned that future shipments could become more expensive if the closure continues.
Also read: Yemen’s government escalates attacks as clashes spread across fronts.
Related coverage:
No comments yet. Start the discussion.