Iran says it has continued producing weapons during its war with the United States and Israel, including new generations of ballistic and cruise-missile warheads. Iranian officials say production of some strategic products has more than tripled since the current war began on February 28.
The claims come after months of bombing and a truce that took effect on April 8. The United States says most of Iran’s defence-industrial base was destroyed, while a confidential US intelligence assessment reported in May said Iran retained about 75 percent of its mobile launchers and 70 percent of its pre-war missile inventory.
What Iran says it can still produce
Iranian Defence Ministry spokesman Reza Talaei-Nik said the country doubled production of weapons and defensive equipment in the 12 months after its 12-day war with Israel and the United States in June 2025. He said manufacturing of some “strategic and prioritised products” had increased by more than three times since February 28.
Talaei-Nik said more than 9,300 companies were involved in weapons production. He also said authorities were limiting public weapons unveilings to protect military information and preserve surprise. IRGC spokesman Hossein Mohebbi said development and production of missile warheads had not stopped, including for ballistic and cruise missiles.
Related coverage: What ship traffic reveals about control of the Strait of Hormuz.
The competing assessments of wartime damage
The White House claimed that more than 85 percent of Iran’s defence-industrial base had been destroyed, including most ballistic missiles, mobile launchers and long-range drones. It also said more than 150 Iranian warships were destroyed, every submarine was sunk and 97 percent of Iran’s naval-mine inventory was eliminated.
The US intelligence assessment reported in May presented a less sweeping picture, finding that Iran retained approximately 75 percent of its mobile launchers and 70 percent of its pre-war missile inventory. The source report also said Iranian forces continued launching missiles and drones at US bases and international shipping in the Strait of Hormuz after additional US bombardment in July, although at a slower rate.
How missiles, drones and air defences performed
Iranian officials said their forces achieved deeper penetration of enemy bases, greater strike accuracy and more successful air-defence interceptions than during the previous war. The source report said Iran’s older air force and broader air-defence network largely failed to prevent repeated breaches of its airspace, but smaller electro-optical, heat-seeking and man-portable systems recorded some interceptions, including the downing of an F-15 fighter jet.
More context: Trump says no Iran talks are planned amid Hormuz standoff.
Cheaper explosive drones allowed Iran to use large numbers of weapons against US interceptors, expose radar positions and force some airports or energy facilities to suspend operations, according to experts cited in the source report. At least 45 US MQ-9 Reaper drones were reportedly shot down or lost through data-link or operational failures, according to US media reports cited there.
Why the Strait of Hormuz remains significant
Despite damage to Iran’s naval capabilities, missile, drone and fast-boat attacks have kept oil flows through the Strait of Hormuz considerably below pre-war levels. The United States and its allies have increased discreet oil and energy transfers in recent weeks, but shipping disruptions have continued in the Strait and in the Red Sea and Bab al-Mandeb.
Iranian commanders have said US strikes in July could have signalled preparations for ground operations in southern Iran. The source report said Iran and the United States were not engaged in meaningful dialogue, leaving no diplomatic route out of the war in sight at the time of publication.
Also read: Why Trump’s Strait of Hormuz Threat Faces Legal Barriers.
No comments yet. Start the discussion.